Skip to main content

Reply to "Grades, ACT, financial aid?"

Iowamom23 posted:

Visited a school that offered 2018 a decent bb scholarship. School also offers automatic aid to students with a certain GPA/ACT score, which son easily surpasses.

I asked coach if this could be stacked and he said yes, as long as son has a 3.5 GPA, an ACT index of over 100 or is in the top 10% of high school class. Son is close but under on GPA and won't achieve the last. I went to a web site that claims to calculate his ACT index at over 100.

I get that the 3.5 is part of NCAA requirements, but had never heard of the 100 plus ACT index. Is that really a thing? Who decides what that score is for sure? When would you find out? Is that standard at all schools or just this one? Should I be asking coach for more information or financial aid?

Hoping son gets the GPA to 3.5, but in the meantime, if this index thing is real, I'll sleep better. So any help you can provide would be terrific!

My understanding is that you have to meet one of the three criteria of 3.5 GPA, 10% of high school class, or 25 ACT if you are getting academic aid on top of the baseball money for it not to count against the overall baseball scholarship total.  If you do not meet one of the three then any academic aid counts against the total baseball scholarship budget.  It sounds like the coach is telling your son that if he doesn't meet that criteria he is going to have to choose between the baseball money or the academic money.  It is a fairly common practice but a lot of parents have no idea it exists.