Skip to main content

Reply to "Grades-College-Learning Disability"

You seem to have posted a difficult topic for most. Let me try & respond.

I continue to see & read examples of how students have the heart to never give-up or give-in to the limits of their disabilities, be it physical or mental. I can't, from personal experience, answer your question if your son's learning disability will limit or even eliminate his recruiting opportunities. I could guess, but what purpose would that serve?

What I can offer is this. Just this week, I watched a national program of a young man playing high school football. The young man had no legs, from birth. He was not about to give-in to the stereo-typing of not being qualified or capable to compete. It was in his heart.

A personal family member has a medical condition which would limit their ability to perform the most routine of daily activities that we all take for granted, if not for required daily medication. That person has never given-in and to this day is a successful business professional helping others to not give-in to their own medical challenges.

What I offer is this. If college & athletics is a serious (never-give-in) consideration in your son's life, pray that God will give you an answer. Please remember, you will get an answer to your prayer. I will pray for him & I am sure many more on this board will also. On many teams across this great nation of ours, there is a player that may not have the skills to be a starter or a regular sub. He/she may not have the capabilities to react quickly enough to the faster pace of the next level. He/she may not have the aptitude to retain the most critical of quick reponses to perform & be it safely. But the individual has the capabilites & not lack the limits to become the heart felt motivational force of a team. That player represents the heart & soul of the team because he/she never-gives-in to limitations. This may be a point of your prayer.