Skip to main content

Reply to "Grading players"

Well this isn't boring me, I find it quite neat actually.
I can't quite understand how fielding is tough to grade. Is it because at lower levels the hitters don't hit the ball to you as hard, and because most of the fields were once army trenches giving you massive bad hops? This one field I use to play on, it was impossible as an outfielder to come up gunning fielding the ball with one hand. It was hard enough to smoothly catch a slow roller with two hands, so I'd say it's probably impossible to grade someone's glove in those conditions.
And I came across this page the other day, a scouting report on former Jays and now D-Rays catcher Kevin Cash: http://www.baseballhq.com/m_futures.shtml

In his career he's played 114, hit 7 homers and hit .172, which in my opinion is pretty bd for someone with contact and power grades of 50/55.
So either this report is inaccurate, or Cash just has a ton of holes in his swing that pitcher's have exposed. Which brings to my question, do your tools reflect your performance (would a contact grade of 50 produce around a .265 Avg)? Or does there need to be some kind of connection between grades and performance? Thanks PG. And you have a PM.