Skip to main content

Reply to "Graduated 2018, Reclassified?"

RJM posted:
DALEX posted:
CTbballDad posted:

You change high schools, typically from public to private, and you repeat a year ending up with 5 years in high school. 

So, for example, if you go to your public high and, after your sophomore year, you see you're not going to get PT or feel you need more time to develop, you decide to go to the local private school or IMG.  Instead of starting your junior year, you will enter as a sophomore.

That's pretty much what I figured, BUT the kid (man?) actually graduated in 2018--so, it seems to be the most extreme example of what you are describing. 

He’s post gradding. It’s very common in football as opposed to redshirting. The kid enters college still having five to play four.

My son has a May birthday in adddition to having been a physical late bloomer. Rather than reclassify entering high school we decided PGing would be the route if needed. It wasn’t. 

My son is in the same boat - May birthday and a late bloomer physically. He got cut from the freshman baseball team, then grew about 5 inches and put on some  weight (where as before he was in the bottom third percentile wise for height and weight, he's now in the top 5 percent for height. Still bottom half for weight though) and made the JV team.  He's still growing and filling out, but if he is anything like me, his grandfathers and uncles he'll be between 6'2" and 6'4" and weigh around 200. So he's got the frame, we'll see if he has the talent and desire.

He's also a late bloomer academically and maturity--wise. An extra year would serve him well both physically, academically and emotionally. My gut feeling is that any academic school that is there before he PGs will still be there after, pretty much no matter how poorly he does there.

If you've written about your experience with your son and the PG decision, would you please link that? I'd be very interested in reading it!