Skip to main content

Reply to "Gray Shirting"

'06CD..

Have no experience...but there was an earlier thread here where most of this stuff was discussed...not as thoroughly as you have stated it, but with more subjective opinions

We have a "young" senior at home. He is young, a late maturer, not highly academic and a big guy which all work against him...Though he is a 6'6" LHP he does not have the velocity to be highly recruited but may in a year when he hardens up...We are pondering the same options as you are...going through the exact same questions...and am echoing your post...in terms of my understanding of the thing...

Request: Please explain this (the new NCAA requirements) to me in more detail....

quote:
The coach is very favorable about the concept of Gray Shirting, and told me that he and the AD expect many jucos to embrace Gray Shirting next year, especially in consideration of the new NCAA credit requirements for 3 year juco transfers

and

quote:
With the new, more stringent requirements for 3-year juco transfers;

I think I understand but may not, bring me up to the "new" speed please...

After throwing around the Greyshirting concept for a few months it looks like this..IMO...

Negatives...

- The emotional cost and risk of working on your game for a season without getting to play or dress out..

- The cost of attending school w/o as much/any fiancial aid as you are not a full time student

- Might blossum in a 4 year environment and flouder in a JC one

Positives...

- Year older, stronger bigger..

- Still have 5 years left...(still have a redshirt year)..

- Way ahead academcially...and a chance to really refocus on studies..

- Chance for a coach to really get to know the player and work on his game...

Cool 44