Skip to main content

Reply to "Great reminder for us all!"

Iowamom23 posted:
RJM posted:

I don’t know how any parent can plow every issue out of their child’s way through graduation of high school and expect them to be responsible on their own in college.

They don't expect them to be responsible on their own in college. They assume the colleges will let them continue to plow every issue out of the way. Imagine the surprise when the college doesn't play along.

You are absolutely right Iowamom23, but times have changed a lot even so.  I teach part-time at a local state U, and I have been surprised how much the school does coddle the young adults enrolled there.  For instance, profs are supposed to fill out online notices about a third of the way through each semester indicating which students in their classes are earning a D or an F, so that the college can contact them and provide counseling about how to improve their grades.  I don't want to see anyone fail, but I don't know why college students need this kind of hand-holding.  Any student who asks me for help or advice gets whatever assistance I can reasonably offer.  But it's not my job to tap an 19- to 25-year old on the shoulder and say "since you failed the mid-term, you need to make some changes in how you approach this class."  And I could give many other examples...  

I always loved this line from Mark Twain (although I think 21 years old is very optimistic):  “When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”