Skip to main content

Reply to "Great reminder for us all!"

collegebaseballrecruitingguide posted:
anotherparent posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

My son (D1 ballplayer) currently has a class in which the instructor has not posted any grades so far this term. While my son feels he is doing fine in the class, he has turned in several grades assignments and has no idea on grade and no feedback at all. So, while I know some people look at the communication as “coddling,” I believe it’s kind of important to have an idea along the way of how you are meeting requirements. We get that in our professional lives (or at least we should) so why should college courses be any different?

What you describe is a prof who is just not doing his/her job.  Sadly, that's not uncommon.  Students have every right to expect that they will get grades on their work in a timely manner.

What I meant was that students in my class (for example) will have turned in two graded assignments by the time I have to report failing marks.  Each of those assignments will have been returned to them with comments, and they also can see their grades for each assignment online at any time.  They know (or ought to) if they have a D or F.  To me, it seems kind of silly that someone from the administration has to email them to remind them of this fact, and to suggest that they need to pull up their grade.  (Btw, these are upperclassmen, not freshmen.)