Skip to main content

Reply to "Green Parent Question"

@Dadof3 posted:

Adbono, any examples of something significant?

i imagine if he does a showcase that posts numbers and they are good he could post that, but what else?  Should he “tag” anyone?

It’s important to know what to post and what not to post. There are varying opinions among coaches on being tagged on Twitter posts. Some don’t like it and some don’t care one way or another. IMO it depends on the purpose of the tag. If a kid is already committed and tagging his future coach(es), that is fine IMO. But if a kid is uncommitted and tags more than one school, trying to create interest, I think it’s a bad look. I also think it’s a bad look to post things like this:

”I had a great time at the recent TCU camp. Thank you to Coach Sarloos and his staff for putting on such a great event”….. This is pandering

”I hit a PR of __ on a pulldown today”… This is meaningless

”After much prayer and discussion with my family I have decided to decommit from ____ and reopen my recruitment”…. What really happened was a scholarship was revoked or the player was cut.

“I am blessed to receive an offer from ___ University”…… While this is acceptable in football & basketball, it is not in baseball. In baseball it’s viewed as shopping the offer in hopes of receiving a better one. Kids have had offers rescinded for doing this.

Post good game video of something significant: a big hit, a great defensive play, a key strikeout, etc. Absolutely stay out of Twitter fights with anyone. Baseball Twitter is wild and features a lot of differing opinions that are thrown around without a lot of courtesy and/or respect. I see a lot of players chiming in on subjects that they should leave alone. The best thing kids can do is communicate directly with coaches thru DMs and build a real relationship - if possible. A lot of general post eyewash doesn’t accomplish anything and it annoys a lot of people.

All the above is just my opinion. But based on conversations I have had, or overheard, most coaches feel the same way. Like other social media platforms Twitter can help. But it can hurt your chances if not done the right way.