Skip to main content

Reply to "Green Parent Question"

@Consultant posted:

Baseball04;

During the 17 years of Area Code Baseball and Goodwill Series Int'l, our Coaches {Pro Scouts] were concerned of players and parents who practiced self promotion. It was a "red flag".

Maybe the player can present a diary of "What he learned today from the game".

HOW THE LESSONS LEARNED IN BASEBALL CAN HELP HIS FUTURE LIFE GOALS.

Bob

Bob is an old and, compared to most members of this board, I am too. That’s probably why I agree with him on most everything. Especially this topic. When we grew up in the game humility was taught. There was no lack of competitive edge but there was respect for the game and for your opponent. Self-promotion was not only discouraged, it was not acceptable. We all learned to let our play on the field do the talking. If there was any bragging to be done it was done by coaches and teammates. There were celebrations only during big moments and they were spontaneous and organic. The unwritten rules of baseball took care of the occasional behavioral problems. This is what the public wanted and baseball became America’s Pastime because of that. Baseball was a reflection of society. The problem with baseball today is that it’s still a reflection of society - a society that is under attack and is being destabilized. The current state of affairs (in baseball and in the world) makes me long for the good old days. I suspect that Bob feels the same way. A “look at me” society is not a good thing. Selfish, foolish, immature, and boastful behavior on the baseball field is not a good thing either. It’s bad for the game and sets the wrong example for anyone watching. Baseball has always been a gentleman’s game. That’s how it’s different from football & basketball. Historically baseball hasn’t had players that would sell out to become pawns for political parties and/or political agendas (ie; Travis Kelce & LeBron James). Baseball has historically been on the side of everyman. I would like to keep it that way. That’s why I fight against bat flips, sh$t talking, excessive celebrations, etc. All of which are forms of self-promotion btw. If things are going to get better it has to start somewhere. Why not here? Let’s start by reigning in the out of control self-promotion - especially by younger people who have accomplished little to nothing.