Skip to main content

Reply to "Greg Maddux on Dan Patrick"

fenwaysouth posted:

What happened?  I went away for 6 days on a golf trip to Florida, and we're debating whether Greg Maddux is overrated or not.   Really?  Slow news day?   The same Greg Maddux that was a first ballot HOFer with 97% of the vote, 355 wins, numerous Gold Gloves and Cy Young awards.   Oh that guy, yes he was schmuck.  Did HSBBWeb legalize marijuana in my absence? 

Giant difference between overrated and schmuck.  He was a great player...but not dominant against good teams IMO.  Every List I have ever seen has him in the top 10 and I think that is wrong.  For example - for the Red Sox faithful....would you rather have Pete or Schilling in Game 7 or Maddox?  At the top of their games Maddox finishes 3rd in that horse race if you want to win.  I can name about 40 more guys in 5 minutes without trying very hard including 2 guys on Maddox own team.  No one would take Maddox over Smoltz although Glavine might be a 50/50ish split although Glavine was '95 WS MVP.

I know my position isn't really popular and contrary.  Except for a couple of arguments on the facts there is a trend here that seems to think the a wise remark questioning sobriety or sanity serves as something witty or thoughtful. 

It does not.  Folks here are usually better then that.