Skip to main content

Reply to "Grunting against the rules?"

@ARCEKU21 posted:

The umpires in TX this year seem to be focused on everything except the game itself. I have never seen so many umpires worried about what is going on in a dugout, where a player is standing, if a pitcher's foot is pointed 20 degrees as opposed to 45 degrees, and on and on. I have seen so many strikes called in the other batters box this year. One umpire even told our catcher he was calling white batters box line to white batters box line because "that is what they do in college".

I have seen the same. More HS umpires need to focus on what’s going on between the white lines as opposed to outside of them. Tuesday night I saw a young home plate umpire calling the tightest strike zone I have ever seen in a HS baseball game. Wouldn’t give the knees or the corners. Pretty frustrating when you teach kids to locate there and it’s not called a strike. Pretty much ruined the game for all involved but he damn sure made sure no player had a foot outside of the dugout. I was proud of my guy (a kid I instruct) for keeping his composure and working thru it.