Skip to main content

Reply to "Grunting against the rules?"

"Sportsmanship" has always been something that is a point of emphasis, but this year it's being pushed harder. In particular, bench jockeying and fan/parental behavior - there's a #BenchBadBehavior campaign.

IMO - there's lines that shouldn't be crossed. I have a higher tolerance than some others mainly because my kids played and I understand some amount of "stuff" is 'patrolled' by those involved in the game. I'd rather only focus between the lines, but it's hard when out of the blue from the dugout someone screams something (sometimes obscene) while the pitcher is in his windup or just delivering.  If you're a coach and cannot control that, then you force me to divert my attention from my job in order to do your job. Is that right?  What if I don't say something and the next pitch hits some kid in the ear hole. Was it on purpose? Who knows? What if said child has a lawyer in the family that wants to allege I should have done something to stop the dugout chatter because it crossed the line as decided upon by the point of emphasis we're given. You don't think it would happen?  Today? Really?  You wonder why there are less (good) officials around?  (there's another campaign for that btw).

As for the parents/fans, there's supposed to be a game administrator on site for every game that can address "line crossers". Again, if I have to stop what I'm supposed to be doing in order to find that person, then it's "on me" for being some sort of hard ass become some jack* parent is telling some 17 year old kid he sucks. Parents don't police other parents (some too fearful to get involved)... Most just move away and let that individual "stand out". I had a coach the other night who admonished some students near the fence who were "antagonizing" a player who just got injured on a play (diving attempt at ball ripped down the line and player had jammed his thumb awkwardly against the ground). He says to me after (cleaned-up of course) - I'm trying to coach my team, I don't have the time to pay attention to that...  Yep, I hear you loud and clear coach and agree 110%!