Skip to main content

Reply to "Guest players"

@PitchingFan posted:

It happened on multiple occasions in WWBA's with sons.  Oldest son pitched a no hitter and hit 2 homeruns in 17U WWBA to upset #2 ranked team in the tournament and was not on the roster with a team from California.  Last minute add and did not put him on the roster.  PG had to come get his name to do the write-up.  He was added by PG the next day.

Youngest son played in every PG event he could from age 14 until 17U and was not on many rosters because many were last week adds to rosters.  When he was 14,  he played in 14U, 15U, 16U, 17U and 18U WWBA and was only on rosters for 14 and 15U.  PG does not care as long as they are eligibile but it does not help overall stats on player's PG page.  Almost every occasion both sons got to pitch and play the field or at least hit.  Just know it is awkward when you are a pickup with a team you never met.  The parents are especially cold when your kid takes one of their kid's spots.  They are not really there to win but for their kid.  I never really associated with the parents after my first year of doing guest play.

I would disagree on you have to play for a top team to make it worth your time to go to PG event as a guest player.  It is luck of the draw or agreement up front.  When youngest was 14, he played in the 17U WWBA with a team from Delaware that only had 10 players by the time they got to Atlanta.  I had negotiated that son would get to pitch at least some at LakePointe.  Their first game was cancelled because of rain and it got moved to LakePointe at 1 AM in the morning of the third night.  They called and wanted son to pitch.  We drove down and he pitched against team that won the tournament.  There were scouts everywhere to see the other team.  Son pitched a 1 hitter through 6 innings tied 0-0.  Not on roster and all the scouts kept asking who the kid on the mound was.  It was awkward because none of their parents knew who he was.  They kept saying some kid we picked up.  I had to answer their questions.  The scouts were intriqued not only that a 14 year old could shut down this team but how a 14 year old kid from MIssouri stepped on a team with 17 year olds from Delaware to play in a big game.  They pulled son in the seventh for their ace and lost 8-0.  I asked son later about the kids and he said the only person who talked to him the whole game was a kid on the bench that asked his name and the coach.  But he got great exposure and even one offer later from that night.  I always negotiated that my sons would get a game at East Cobb or LakePointe or against a top team at a nearby field if they were going to guest pitch.  You can be on the best team in the tournament but if you are a no name pitching at the airport you are wasting your time and money.  But it really is luck as to who you play whether scouts will be there if you are not at the main fields.

I’ve had PG mess up stats because they didn’t catch a sub, but that would stink to not even be listed.

It is awkward at first for sure. This summer my son was put in lead off for the first game and my wife and I cringed. By the end though the parents and kids seemed ok with it. He led the tourney in BA and XBH.

I think you were referring to Senna as far as he quality of the team. I don’t care as long as he plays. I will say son’s fall team was very good and the coach asked the TD’s to schedule the best teams for pool games. They went 2-3 against 5 of the top 10 teams in the country. In normal times there would have been scouts everywhere.