Skip to main content

Reply to "Guidance and suggestions invited - 14U baseball player"

Matt Reiland posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

I knew SOMEONE would respond that it was fine for weight training kids...Matt, at the risk of derailing the thread, I have to ask, what is the point of weight training for pre-teen athletes?

Significant strength and weight gain won't happen until puberty, so the benefits prior to that would be:

-Injury prevention;

-Balanced development, especially for kids playing only 1 sport, but playing year-round;

-Improved proprioception and kinesthetic awareness - learning how their body moves;

-General physical capability;

-Improved overall athleticism - learning other movements, especially the more technical lifts like snatch or clean (taught by a qualified coach), helps kids learn movements in their primary sport more efficiently.

For the record, I am NOT questioning your parental decision to hold off on weight training, so apologies if my original post came off that way.

You weren't being attack like Matt, but this seems to come up often on this site.  Since we are both rational people let's discuss. 

Couldn't you get many of those pro's from speed and agility classes without weights?  What specific advantage would weights have to a kid before he can shave?