Skip to main content

Reply to "Handling Coach Communications"

All of these schools already have his test scores and transcripts.  Actually, many HA schools now ask recruits to upload  them (and sometimes your high school profile) when they fill out the recruiting questionnaire, so the coaches have that information from the get go.  In any event, my son has generally sent his transcript and test scores in his introductory email along with his video, so the coaches can see right away if he is or is not wasting their time.  In response, some of them had asked for his summer schedule (now up in the air, of course) and said they wanted to see him play this summer.  Some of those schools have since emailed to say that, in light of the pandemic, they may only be at HeadFirst and Showball events.

I guess I'm not sure what admissions support means for recruited athletes at D3 schools.  Some of the schools on my son's list are more of a "match" and some are more of a "reach."  Some he would have little chance of getting into without baseball.  But, very few high school students can be sure they can get into a college that has a 20% or less acceptance rate.  My son's high school provides Naviance, and we can see from the scattergrams that admissions at high academic schools seem willy nilly from the outside. 

My son is a straight-A student in all honors/AP classes, and his test scores fall at least at the low end of the middle 50% for all of the schools on his list.  In any event, I would assume that any coach that is actually talking to him on the phone has decided he can get in (either with or without support) and is now trying to decide whether he wants him on the team.  Am I wrong about that?

We fully expect to apply ED if he is fortunate enough to get an offer from a school he likes.  But, the usual routine of "flirting and dating" over the summer and early fall is probably out the window at this point.  If coaches are going to end up making decisions based on video and their network of travel/high school coaches and other trusted connections, they can go ahead and do that now if they are inclined.  

I guess what I hear ya'll saying is that D3 coaches don't press for commitments.  If that's right, that is a relief.  We just want our son to have the time to explore any schools that might be interested in him.

Last edited by LuckyCat