Skip to main content

Reply to "Has anyone ever seen a PG grade of less than 7?"

Many great explanations here, lots of insight and help with the grading system. I guess i'm just not that willing to pin my hopes or my kid's hopes on someone else grading system, in that...it would've been awesome for my son to get the 9 or 10, maybe he grades out at a 6 or 7 but even in the best case scenario nothing is guaranteed. If parents are falling in love with the PG grade's literal translation and talking with their kid about it and solely "pinning their hopes" on the college guarantee or possibility of playing D1 ball then something is wrong there Nothing in life is guaranteed and while positivity is awesome, you better have a back up plan. We hear about it all the time on this board, options for DII or D3 ball, if you want to play or continue playing when you didnt make D1 or the rosters are chock full of 10s and you may not "play". If baseball if a game that is based on overcoming failure to be successful, how if life much different? I've tried to be brutally honest with my son about competition, hard work and the fact that somewhere, there is always someone who will commit to out work you for your spot, over and over again and they will tell you they will beat you out. I saw an HBO sports episode recently that talked about our society telling kids, this new generation how awesome they are at everything, giving out trophies to everyone and how that promotes "false hope" that i think is referenced here. Shame on the parents of the younger generation, along with the educators, coaches and other enablers....it's gonna get really ugly when life happens to these kids. Talk about meltdowns. 

http://www.hbo.com/real-sports...o.html?autoplay=true