Skip to main content

Reply to "Has anyone ever seen a PG grade of less than 7?"

Originally Posted by #1 Assistant Coach:
Originally Posted by #1 Assistant Coach:

I know a young man who scored a 6.5 at a PG Showcase.  He was 14.

Nine months later he made unofficial visits to (2) ACC schools and an Atlantic-10.

Still uncommitted, but you get the point.

I have to laugh..........while posting on another thread regarding the Cape League, I mentioned a young man I remember who was an LHP at a D-3 NESCAC school and managed to get himself a roster spot in the Cape Cod League in 2011.  Played for the Chatham Anglers. 

Summer before his senior year of high school his range was 74-76mph.  PG gave him a grade of 7.0. 

FOUR YEARS LATER HE WAS PITCHING IN THE CAPE LEAGUE.  One year after that, he signed as a free agent with the Arizona Diamondbacks, and later pitched in Orioles organization.  He retired in 2014 and is now putting his NESCAC degree to work.

As Bucsfan stated, a PG rating is "just a point in time."

And if you look at the PG definition of a "7" it reads "College prospect, possible future draft pick with development".

I think most people are putting way too much stock in a rating and assume that a 9-10 is a guaranteed draft pick or D1 freshman starter and anything 8 or below is lucky to play after high school.

Like you state, it's a snapshot in time and whether a player grows or shrinks from there is dependent on a lot of variables.