Skip to main content

Reply to "Has anyone ever seen a PG grade of less than 7?"

Originally Posted by Nuke83:
Originally Posted by #1 Assistant Coach:
Originally Posted by #1 Assistant Coach:

I know a young man who scored a 6.5 at a PG Showcase.  He was 14.

Nine months later he made unofficial visits to (2) ACC schools and an Atlantic-10.

Still uncommitted, but you get the point.

I have to laugh..........while posting on another thread regarding the Cape League, I mentioned a young man I remember who was an LHP at a D-3 NESCAC school and managed to get himself a roster spot in the Cape Cod League in 2011.  Played for the Chatham Anglers. 

Summer before his senior year of high school his range was 74-76mph.  PG gave him a grade of 7.0. 

FOUR YEARS LATER HE WAS PITCHING IN THE CAPE LEAGUE.  One year after that, he signed as a free agent with the Arizona Diamondbacks, and later pitched in Orioles organization.  He retired in 2014 and is now putting his NESCAC degree to work.

As Bucsfan stated, a PG rating is "just a point in time."

And if you look at the PG definition of a "7" it reads "College prospect, possible future draft pick with development".

I think most people are putting way too much stock in a rating and assume that a 9-10 is a guaranteed draft pick or D1 freshman starter and anything 8 or below is lucky to play after high school.

Like you state, it's a snapshot in time and whether a player grows or shrinks from there is dependent on a lot of variables.

that's basically what got this thread started.  The OP decided for her self that anything below a 9 or 10 (on a 10 point rating scale no less)  must be a kiss of death for a kid' hopes of playing in college.   Then when she found out what the scores were said by PG to mean, she had the vague suspicion that deluded parents and players with unrealistic visions of grandeur were somehow being sold false hopes by PG.  Instead of readjusting her prior belief that only a 9 or 10 could possibly indicate college talent,  she stuck with her guns.   Basically she was engaging in good old fashioned confirmation bias.    

Last edited by SluggerDad