Skip to main content

Reply to "Has Anyone Used Or Is Using a College Sports Recruiting Service?"

pabaseballdad posted:

We did use a recruiting service, and I have to admit we did find it helpful at the time.  Bit of a unique situation, and the guy was very good.  Former D1 player that played at one school, then went to another school in his 5th year.  Then he was an assistant at two different d1 schools, and his father worked in and MLB organization.  So the guy had a great network, he was independent, and my son was his first client, which meant very low fee.    He had a very extensive network, and he had lived the recruiting process from both sides - recruited athlete and recruiter as a coach.     

So, my opinion is that they can be helpful in the right situation.  I think the problem is that there are so many options out there that are  non value add- that it gives the whole industry a bad rap. 

All that being said, my son ended up going to a school that traditionally recruits kids in this area, and has a great relationship with my son's summer coach.  So, in the end, my son probably would have ended up where he is whether or not we used this consultant. 

Some great stuff here.  Here is an example of a player who had a difficult time being "on the radar" even when he produced.  I don't know if he used a recruiting service though (and I still have the opinion many of these services are not what parents envision).  Yes I realize this could be a fluke or not normal, just an example though.

Attended a well recognized top baseball high school program. By the time graduated in the top 5 in almost every school record. All league, All CIF, All State, POY, All District (6 or so states), towards the top in the nation. Attended PG and others showcases. From what I remember only  1 or 2 D1 showed any interest (no idea about D2 or D3).  He accepted to play at a good baseball program late in the process.  Throughout 3 years of D1 ball, led in most offensive categories, All Conf, All State, All American, POY in college.  Read an interview with HC, he basically stated he and every other coach missed this kid, he slipped by the normal college recruiting process.  Other coaches from D1 schools said the same thing.  This non-radar kid did all the things to get noticed yet he slipped by.  He ended up being a 1st round draft pick in MLB as a Jr, don't know if he is still playing though.

Baseball is a game of luck mixed in with talent, a few inches/feet can be the difference between a great pitch or hit, win or loss.  Being and producing in the right place, at the right time is important.  Even though this example may not necessarily reflect it, I still believe Trust In The Process, Trust In Him....(Him can be anyone you choose, religious, a parent, a coach, etc)