Skip to main content

Reply to "has high school ball become irrelevant?"

Not sure there is a shift although I agree that having money can help things - if the player has talent.

High School baseball is a spring sport yet the sport itself is a summer sport where the majority of the year's games are played in summer. Now you have travel and tournament teams that facilitate play in the summer. Maybe in years past you saw legion ball and organizations like that as more prevelant. As long as high school ball is played in the spring, I don't see it becoming irrelevant although I see there was a spring/alternative league in California this year. If that becomes a trend, then maybe the high school game will be threatened.

PS - if you are lamenting how many scouts/colleges there are in Georgia at high school games, imagine what it is like in Cleveland Ohio in the spring time. Winds howling off Lake Erie with snow flakes in the air for the first few weeks of the season. I assure you there are no scouts there under those conditions. All that said, I would have loved for my son to play in a league like East Cobb. Hopefully you can take advantage of that Smile