Skip to main content

Reply to "has high school ball become irrelevant?"

BaseballDad62,

Somehow the word "hijack" hit me wrong. Doesn't sound like something good! I'm sure you meant no harm.

Personally I am a big believer in high school baseball. It's just not always the best place to scout. We are responsible for selecting the Aflac All American teams each year. We are also responsible for selecting the coaches of those teams. Every year we have selected high school coaches to coach these teams. That is out of respect for the many great high school coaches out there. Kenny May (HSBBW - Coach May) is on our short list and if we are still doing this he will be coaching an Aflac team at some point. Most high school coaches (not all) are in favor of any help their players can get in the off season for HS baseball.

I am a big believer in summer baseball, also, whether it is the things we do or legion ball or other summer baseball. Sometimes that can be the very best place to find players.

East Cobb has been around for quite awhile now. They are recognized as one of, if not the most successful, amateur programs ever. They have earned the attention they get from scouts and recruiters.

One of our associates started the league in California that Cleveland dad refers to. I don't think the purpose is to destroy high school baseball. It has given several players an opportunity, though. In some parts of the country high school baseball is actually being phased out due to limited budgets. That is happening internally more than caused by any outside source.

Ruining high school baseball is not something I want to be known for.
Last edited by PGStaff