Skip to main content

Reply to "has high school ball become irrelevant?"

quote:
Originally posted by HitaHomer1:
If you are a super stud, IMO you will be found. But there are only a handful of super studs. If you are a pretty good DI, DII player and you live in Georgia, California, Texas, or Florida you will probably be found without a lot of effort. Otherwise, I think you better plan to spend some money. In our state we have a major university 30 minutes away, never once saw the coaches at a game (hs or aummer legion when younger) or really any scouts. The old coach used to go to legion games in the summer and try to find the local talent, current coach does not.
I have wondered why the NCAA ties these kids hands, as well. If you could get in your car and go to a college and throw or hit for a coach it would take 15-30 minutes. You could cover four to six schools in a weekend. That would be nice to kill numerous birds with one stone. Instead you pay for flight, hotel and camp fees and cover only one school.
And add to all that, that if you do sign with a school you are going to be lucky to get 25 to 35% unless you are a really good pitcher.
In the end it is paying off for us. Son is getting in to a great academic school (mid-level DI) that he may not have gotten in to without baseball and he is getting 35%.
Other son is being recruited in more than one sport - and I will say that it is getting out of hand no matter what sport you play. Only difference is in football and basketball you get 100% if you make it to the next level.

I think I agree with all that. Congrats to your son - any scholarship in baseball is a big deal.