Skip to main content

Reply to "has high school ball become irrelevant?"

I agree completely with Coach May's statement below:

HS baseball is a players opportunity to represent his school and his community. Its an opportunity to play competitive baseball with the guys he has grown up with his whole life. Its his chance to play with those guys he has played with coming up in the game against other kids he has played against coming up in the game. Its a very special time in a baseball players life imo. For some its all the baseball they want. For others its just one part of the process.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, I might add that many times your teammates during the summer and fall travel-ball seasons become your opponents during the high school season...lots of friendships are developed at your school and in the surrounding communities. As Coach said, it's a very special time in a baseball players life! I was in Georgia with my son for the WWBA 17u earlier this month. A retired MLB player was out there watching our team play, and one of our dad's happened to grow up in the same neighborhood at a rival school. It was fun listening to them talk about the old days. This gentleman spent a dozen years in the Majors, and he enjoyed talking about his HS years and the players he played with and against during that time.

As for the scouts, IMHO they'll show up where the talent is. My son and his HS teammates were lucky to have a player on the team that was being scouted by a number of clubs. He was drafted last month, and is currently playing Rookie Ball. The year before, three players from my son's league were drafted within the first four rounds, so they're out there. It's tough for college recruiters to come out to HS games during the spring, as they're in the middle of their baseball season too. However, they do have some down time during the season, and if you're lucky and live within an hour or so of a university, you'll see the coaches.

We live in the same area that the ABCL was formed for those looking for other alternatives. The Amateur Baseball Club League is great for those kids that either didn't make their HS team, or perhaps needed another fit for various reasons (ABCL had a few pretty good players). But it will never take over high school ball, and the ABCL Director isn't looking to do that either. High School baseball is still very relevant in our community!
Last edited by bsbl247