Skip to main content

Reply to "Have we (Coaches, parents) been doing it all wrong?"

Okay, I am actually a mom, therefor a female, and even I think that article is written by a wuss that my 5 year old could beat up!

Come on!!!!  Is there a time and place for empathy, yes there is.  Your parents just got divorced, your brother has been in a wreck, your family uprooted you in your senior year and moved across the country....there is a time and place for kid-gloves but not daily!

My kid is only 12 and I'll tell you right now if his new coach wanted to have a heart to heart on what's going on in his life that makes him unable to catch a pop up or get his glove on the ground I would put up with that ONCE!  After that my kid better be running poles and doing pushups for OBVIOUSLY just not concentrating, or we would be looking for another team.

I seriously doubt the head Baseball coach at a D1 school will be sitting down and having a heart to heart talk with 35+ players.  It's our job to prepare our kids for the future and if our kid wants to play D1 ball then his future will not entail heart to hearts with coaches on a consistent basis.  My son should be able to go to his coach if he has a problem like I stated above that might require empathy but this coddling crud of this generation is just aggravating me. 

I just want a sign to hang around my kids neck that says "No one owes me anything, I must earn whatever I want, and life isn't always fair"