Skip to main content

Reply to "Haverford"

baseball mom2020 posted:

... Yesterday while talking to someone (whose kid played baseball in college) they said go for the D1 because D3 is pretty much "club" baseball and he will never get noticed. I don't think thats true but its left this nagging thought in the back of my mind. So with academics being pretty equal is it better to play in a very low D1vs high Nescac?

That is far too broad of a statement.  There are D3 programs and conferences that are quite competitive and have players drafted with some relative regularity (yes, I know, not many from D3 in general).  And, there are some D1 programs and conferences that would really surprise the average college baseball fan with how low the level of play is.  Most folks "whose kid played baseball in college" do not have a broad scope of the college baseball landscape outside of that which their son played, some local play and what they see on TV.   Take comments with a grain of salt.  You really have to dig with each program and conference.

As example, if a player chose a D1 over a D3 because of the D1 label and that schools was a perennial loser but the D3 school was competitive year in and year out, he would most likely come to regret his choice. 

To add:  I have seen more than a few "all-league" level HS players sit or get cut from some better D3 teams.

Last edited by cabbagedad