Skip to main content

Reply to "Haverford"

Funny thing, around many people I know, I am the one person arguing that sports are just as good as music, theater, debate, etc...  I'm an orchestra parent as well as a baseball parent (try wondering why your child didn't get into the highest performance group - but I never found a discussion board for that).  In fact, I think students should be able to major in their sport, just like musicians can.

If there weren't so many cases where academic requirements were bent for athletes (yes, including at HAs), this wouldn't be a question.  I don't know if they bend those academic requirements for musicians.

Lol, I don't want to sidetrack the conversation too much, but as a person who was into the music world myself at a young age (considered a career in it until I took calculus and realized my abilities there were more marketable), many of the things they discuss here definitely translates.  I know of situations where kids were able to get a leg up on admissions due to their musical abilities, and had a few of them as friends in college.  Our Jazz band concerts had greater attendance than our football team, and the top band travelled a fair amount.  Also, a lot of the character skills I see in sports we had to deal with, including a lot of individual practice, working in smaller groups, and dealing with different personalities.... Just didn't think about it, as it seems like a lifetime ago (not so much focus on music in our community compared to where I grew up).