Skip to main content

Reply to "HC Before & After Signing"

@Francis7 posted:

Was your son's coach (or your coach) very different in terms of personality, demeanor, responsiveness and attitude during the recruiting process as compared to when he was actually on the team? In what way?

Most coaches are pretty tough the first year you arrive. A lot of players come with an attitude and it needs to be put in check asap. Just like you think coach isn't the same person that you met during recruiting, he may think the same of you.

I really consider this a life learning opportunity. This is the way it works. I am sure many of you have had bosses that have been a nightmare. Life isn't perfect.

My son had a great college HC. He was hard as nails. I think maybe at times it was a love/hate relationship between them. But son is who he is because of him and others in his life, even coaches he has worked under. They made promises and kept their end of the bargain as long as he kept up his part.  You tend to learn a lot as you go through different experiences.

Yes, some coaches are bad. What you get in college is nothing compared to what you might get in the professional game. Coaches at that level don't have a say in who is on their team. They just get replacement players and they don't have to like you.

Times have changed. The NCAA allows a D1 athlete to transfer if the coach leaves.  This was unheard of years ago. If you don't like the coach, you are lucky to have that option.

JMO