Skip to main content

He's off - Spring 2024

The son left home today for his first post-JUCO Spring season. Everything is looking really solid, except I will miss him. We realized over the weekend that he probably wouldn't be home to see his dog until summer. The boy and the dog probably feel less emo about this than I do. Last minute I looked in vain for airfare so I could drive with him and fly home -- the baseball drives remain a highlight of... my life, really. Couldn't make it work tho.

A lot of folks here are (and should be) thinking about JUCO route. It is not an easy option, and I think it's kinda misunderstood. I misunderstood it. But he texted me today that he had stopped by his old JUCO en route to his new D1, and that he had unexpectedly spent 2 hours talking with his old JUCO coaching staff and some younger members of the brotherhood. Juco was the best experience he would never do again. I'm psyched about his new coaches and the program, and making plans to catch games this spring.

To that end, anyone planning on being in Baton Rouge the weekend of Feb 16-19? Should be lots of talent in town, hopefully some upsets

How y'all doing sending your boys off?

FYI I welcome PM's from folks with HS players thinking about JUCO route, especially in Texas/South. I'm not an authority (outside having one kid who went through it), but I encourage folks to get a range of experiences/opinions about it.

Original Post