Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst Email "Invitation" - Generic?"

My 2018 junior attended the recent Nov HF at Jupiter, FL.  We were advised this date would probably be the earliest HF event that top academics would give juniors the time of day.  But you still have to have the measurables, and it's helpful to have a decent ACT score to relay to the coach. 

Observations from the event: 

• D1's in attendance (Vandy, Duke, Texas, few Patriot League's, and Ivy's) were dialed into the few big arm (88+) 2018's.
  • While HF caters to high academic kids, as a junior attending the event, you've got to have solid measurables, along with electric play to get the early attention of a top academic D1.  
  • D3 top academics were focused on completing their rosters with 2017's and taking notes on players who had already contacted them
  • Even Brown and Dartmouth were still focused on a few 2017 pitchers (was surprised by that)
  • My 2018 MIF played very well, had decent early ACT score to convey, strong IF and Exit Velo's, but had a mediocre 60 time.  Son rec'd solid comments about his play and he's on radars. If son had run a 6.6 60yd and already sported a 33 ACT I'd likely have a different story 
  • Top academics also want good players with strong measurables.  If Ivys are going to be aggressive with a kid early in the process he also has to have the strong ACT score.  They're building recruiting classes around exceptional players just like the other top programs
  • Focus dollars on development: get stronger, get faster, get better, and prepare your son for ACT's.  If you're going to show up be able to knock it out of the park....

(edited few typos)

Last edited by Gov