Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst Honor Roll Camp in McKinney, TX - PRICE REDUCTION"

First, I've had more contact with the people running Headfirst, and I can tell you that they do a great job in their niche. I'm surprised at the price cut, but they obviously are trying to get the ball rolling here in Texas.

I doubt they care what grades you have. However, they know you're not going to pay money to go to a camp with coaches specifically from academic schools if your son can't get in. So here's a little info from the coaching side of things:

I coached at Emory and UVa, both elite academic schools (sorry, that's not very modest, since I also have degrees from both). At the time (2000 - old SATs), it honestly took around a 1300 with a 3.7 GPA to have a good shot to get in to Emory on your own. Emory is DIII. As SAT goes up, required GPA goes down, of course, with lots of other factors included, not the least of which is how much financial aid would be needed. This is general speak, and there are exceptions to every rule. BUT, if we wanted the kid to play ball, we could get him in at Emory with a 3.0 and 1000. It would take some effort (limit to a couple guys like that a year), so we wouldn't extend that effort unless we thought he was an impact player.

The same concept was true at UVa. The academic standards were simply not lowered unless we offered an athletic aid scholarship, showing our real interest in what he could bring to the school athletically.

This may surprise some, but I think this type of thing is pretty much true across the board. Justification: bring in special people who make the school's community more successful.

One more thought: I'm sure the officials at these schools would prefer I didn't share this information. Sometimes, the lesser accomplished academic kids struggled when they got there, but there were also lots of times when they did just fine. I, of course, think this was due to their academic motivation, not their academic ability.

Best wishes.
-Aaron