Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst Showcase"

My better half took our 2015 down, after we considered  the value v. cost. Son high academic stats, but Ivy always a reach. But, since he's never played summer travel ball (due to outside circumstances) he's never been seen by anyone - so if he wanted to play in college, he had to get in front of the coaches this summer, and HF seems to offer the best opportunity for his target schools. Spouse took him to a PG showcase, first he'd ever done, then a regional tournament with space for a few extra players, then a college camp, then HF.

By the time he got to HF, son had gotten a feel for talking with coaches. And, much to their credit, the coaches at HF made the event fun for the attendees - instead of feeling like the Tipton yearling sales in August, there was a lot of enthusiasm. Weather was near ideal, but son lost day #2 after taking a wild pitch to the side of the head at bat end of Day #1. Dandy case of tinnitus, so a pre-emptive trip to the ER rounded out the evening's activities. A lot of good pitchers there, but everyone is desperate to show their fastest, and spouse said there were quite a few beanballs, and fouls going between the 4 fields. 

But even with only 1 day's exposure, and no record of stats to share, son got some good exposure, and has heard from several colleges - not all have his major, but there is time yet to pursue options. 

Interestingly, son saw the coach whose camp he'd attended, sitting in the stands with sunglasses and floppy hat, incognito! Son spotted him immediately though, went over and said hi - he was watching another player, so son excused himself, and let him know he'd be playing the next game at the field next door. I said that likely the assistant coaches work the fields during the games, so the head coaches can do their work undisturbed in the stands, else they'd never get anything done! 

But given the talent pool that attends HF, I'd have to believe the head coaches are mostly there, you just dont see them. It's always desirable to get a chance to intereact with them, but as long as they see you, you've accomplished most of what you came to HF for - to be seen and evaluated. Even for the one day of field play there, it was worth it for us.