Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst? Stanford Camp? Unsure"

Your son has a great academic record!  He's a fit academically for many, many schools...easily.

Both Headfirst and Stanford have an extensive number of D1 and D3 academic schools. Either (or both) camps are a fit academically from my experience with our 2012 and this year with our 2016.  Go to the camps/showcases where his schools are attending.  Likely both of these camps could fit if his list is a national list of top D1 and D3 academic schools.

The primary challenge I see based on your post is the 76 mph.  If he's at 83 mph as a LHP junior, and projectable higher mph as a Senior and college Frosh, then from my experience he has all academic D1's and D3's as legitimate targets.  He doesn't need to be a 90 mph guy...83-85 mph would do the trick at many academic D3's and undoubtedly some D1's.

BTW, high school stats matter little or not at all.  It's great he's on a competitive team in a competitive league, but we found that to matter little too.

Can your guy be 175 lbs. throwing 83 mph by Headfirst New York mid Summer?  That would open doors.  76 mph and 150 lbs. is like a lot of kids everywhere unfortunately.