Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst vs. Showball (2018 version)"

I'll try to get to each question.  Please note this is my experience with a 2017 D3 journey, and what is a current D3 journey with my 2019.

I think colleges will take note of 2020s and will stay in touch via email and other means kind of casually until AFTER their spring 2019 season.  Then they'll be more eager with kids who've sent them video that they like, or kids they took note of the prior summer and fall.  But you won't know where you really stand with them until this time of year at the earliest, that is, summer before Senior year.  But I don't think it's a bad idea to get in front of coaches before Jr. year.  Some may think that's overkill for a d3 search, and I have even wondered that.  I think it just depends, and sometimes you can't figure it out until after you look back on it.

re: coach's pull with admission.  It just depends on the school.  I know some schools that have pull for one or two kids whose scores and grades are at 25% or even lower.  Rare but it can happen if you're the one kid they really want. Other coaches whose schools are at the absolute highest end academically say they have no pull, which to me means a kid would need to hit the 50th percentile or higher for grades and SAT/ACT scores.  My take is that the SAT/ACT scores carry more weight than GPA.  It's also been my experience that these high academic coaches are very clear about what score a player needs to be in the mix.  Coaches who have talked to my 2019 in the past few days have been very clear.  NOTE: there is a brand new concordance between the ACT/SAT scores and that concordance will be used for 2019 admissions.  I'm a little concerned that coaches and admissions offices may not yet be on the same page regarding what the threshold score is.  That's not a question that I think a kid can ask very clearly, but the answer will be critical to kids with a borderline score.  Where a 32 used to work, a 33 on the ACT may now be necessary.  I'm working on finding the answer to this; maybe someone else has clearer info?

Pre reads this time of year,  which is when they first start for baseball kids (and maybe all 2019 athletes) should take a week or two.  Timing is based on how close the coach is with admissions officers and how busy the coaches are.  Again, this is a school to school issue.   My 2017 got his prereads within two weeks from all the schools interested in him two years ago.

I'm not sure what to make of the move from 4 games to 3.  I know my kid wasn't as tired after the event, but I'm also not sure he got the exposure I hoped for.  That's on him as much as anyone else though.  He was SLOW getting out of the gates at that event.  Was much more comfortable at Showball.  I'm not sure the # of games had anything to do with it.

For those who Pm'd me, I will answer shortly.   Thanks!!