Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst vs. Showball (2018 version)"

Chico Escuela posted:

Thanks!  Great info (esp for those of us weighing whether to go to HF and/or Showball). 

Did you get any sense of whether high academic D3s were interested in 2020s, or just focused on 2019s?  My 2020 son is going to HF in August, but I wonder if it's too soon to have spent the $$.  

A 2020 searching for a D3 in August of his incoming Junior year is early.  High Academic D3's will not get serious until July-August of incoming senior year.  The HC's of these High Academics know that the player's they want to recruit are likely trying to get an Ivy spot.  Ivy's don't have their rosters secured until Sept.(ish)  So, the High Academic D3 HC's try to avoid getting too invested with a player too early.  

It's certainly an opportunity to get exposure to them, and talk with them, and they'll know who you are when it comes to HF/SB the following June-July.  Reduce your expectations, tell your son to let it all out, he may get better feedback than a D3.

My 2018 knew in late July of his incoming senior year that it wasn't looking great for any Ivy spot, so he stepped up his dialogue with Amherst, Middlebury and Johns Hopkins, with whom he had initiated talks back in spring of his Junior year, and all three had seen him play numerous times during the summer of his incoming Senior year.