Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst vs. Showball (2018 version)"

DiamondsRmomsBF posted:

So if the pre-read comes back negative, we should move on, right?  Will the coaches let us know?

Yes, move on. IF your son is a player of strong interest by the HC and the pre-read is negative, the HC will most likely tell the player it's a long shot for him to get support through admissions. 

IF a HC doesn't say anything, the player was not in as high demand he thought.  The HC was likely fishing with admissions wondering where the "line in the sand is" for the current recruiting class.

For a High Academic D3, having at least a 3.5 plus an ACT or SAT score which is at least at the low end of the middle 50% percentile of recently accepted students, the player will have a good chance of getting support through admissions from the HC. IF the HC is saying you're one of my top guys you should be fine.  This is all on the condition of applying ED.  Not every family is comfortable with going all in this early.  The player has to really dig the school and get a great vibe from the HC.  My son had that vibe, and grades and an ACT score which fit well with the middle 50 percentile.  Son wasn't worried about applying ED. (I was a bit worried)

Admissions wants students that will fit in academically.  The HC wants to make sure his players will not have a hard time at the school.  The player and parent of the player want the same thing.  It's part of the FIT.

If there's a negative pre-read, again, move on, not a school for him.  Would be way too much risk applying ED, and RD would certainly not be an option. There are players that get a positive pre-read and still get denied after going ED, so player and parent have to really be comfortable, ( edit: and dialed into what the HC is saying, as well as his tone).

Last edited by Gov