Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst vs. Showball (2018 version)"

So rising Jr is too early for serious interest from even D1s at Headfirst? (e.g., Ivies, Patriot League).  I guess for my 2020 this summer at HF will be for getting a little experience and spending some compulsory time traveling with his dad.

I'm still trying to figure out what seems like a chicken-and-egg problem when it comes to school-run camps. If a coach issues a personal invitation, then obviously a player would want to seriously consider attending if interested in the school.  But to go to a camp in hopes of attracting a school's attention seems like a real long shot.  Any of the Ivy camps would be expensive for us (I'm in NC).  Do coaches really use camps to identify players, given the wiiiiide range of skill sets in attendance?  If my son throws 90+ mph, then he'd definitely get noticed.  But if he threw 90+, then getting noticed wouldn't be much of a challenge anyhow.  Do people invest in plane tickets and hotel rooms to go to a single school's camp before a coach has expressed interest?  (If so, then I fear this process is even more expensive than I thought.)

Anyhow, many thanks again to all who posted in this thread. It has been extremely helpful.