Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst vs. Showball (2018 version)"

mom2baseballplayer posted:

How does Showball compare to Headfirst?

My son attended Showball (SB) last summer. It definitely worked out for him. The reason he attended Showball vs. HF is because SB's event included ONLY head coaches--and it included the head coaches of ALL eight Ivy schools.

The majority of SB's events are "Head Coach" (HC) events; it looks like there are two out of seven in 2020 which will not be HC events.

I don't believe there are any HF events which claim ONLY HC's.

I've heard that HF camps are a tad bit more organized but I don't have any experience with them so I can't comment. A HF camp was going on at the same exact time as the SB camp my son attended last summer and it was just up the road (Medford, NY). Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate but I think SB did a fantastic job getting the entire showcase completed given the weather. We were satisfied at least. The games were rushed but that was to be expected in order to get everyone seen by the coaches. The HF camp up the road included coaches (mostly assistant volunteers) from just about the same schools represented in the SB event.  I'm guessing the HC's and their assistants traveled together to the events.

I'm also pretty sure there is either a report or video (or both) sent out to attendees of the HF camp (plus I guess they'll be using new technology this year which I presume will be included in their reports). I'm guessing SB will claim it doesn't need to provide any output/feedback because the HC's are there to witness the players themselves.

Let me know if you need any more specific info on the SB camp. My son's friend attended the HF camp up the road so he provided some feedback to us.