Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst vs Showball"

Gov posted:

I have always heard that going to a college camp is not generally a way to get discovered by a school, and that schools don’t generally think of camps as sources for recruits.

If a player has very targeted colleges he's interested in, that's the exception to attend their individual camps.  BUT, you've got to make sure the baseball skills are a possible match for that level of school.  Position players need to show more reps and game actions to increase the comfort of a college coach to recruit them.   

Similar to the Duke camp there are normally a few high academic D3's that coach the individual Ivy camps, as well as a GTown or Patriot colleges. 

I think this is a way to improve chances for position players capable of playing Ivy. I would do this with my boys if I had to do it all over again.

(The exception to above is:  you don't need to go to an individual D3 camp, you can be seen by them at HF or Showball, they're looking for video and email to indicate players interest, then they'll seek you out at the HF type event)

If I had it to over again (that would potentially a great thread BTW), that would be one thing I'd do differently.  That plus have someone outside the family sit down with Junior early in Sophomore year to tell him, "What you think are good grades are not in fact good grades, if you want to go to an elite college or university".