Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst vs Showball"

My son was "recruited" to play at MIT (graduated HS in 2010). I use quotes because the "recruit" is weighed in the general admission pool; no coach pull or slots. 

We visited during spring break junior year in response to an open offer to visit extended the previous summer at HF. Met and toured campus with RC and then son attended a game. Son said the kids were calculating the parabolic arc of the ball when one of the MIT players hit a dinger. The previous summer (rising junior) son was mid-low 80s.

Of all the schools we visited (dozens over time), MIT was the friendliest and most unusual. Both kids loved the atmosphere.

Son decided to pass because of the lack of an assured spot (RC had shared some really sad stories - like the kid who turned down a lowball Arizona offer only to get rejected at MIT). Because a kid is way out on a limb in waiting for admissions, if you apply to MIT, apply to many other schools. That having been said, I understand that MIT grads don't have much trouble finding decent jobs.

Looking back, high academic D3s do "soft" recuiting whenever they see a potential match in skills, academics and scores. Dozens of D3 coaches approached and spoke to my son during his HF and Stanford camps as a rising junior. (As an aside, the kids at these camps should have sealed envelopes with transcripts and scores.)  The coaches are building relationships and nothing makes a potential recruit feel wanted then a coach remembering his name the following year. (Coach Frawley at Yale is a true master of this art.)

Last edited by Goosegg