Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst vs Showball"

Waffles&icecream posted:

DO NOT GO TO A SHOWCASE OR CAMP UNTIL JUNIOR IS READY. My son was small freshman year 5'6" & no where near physically where he needed to be. Impressions from coaches are hard to change. This was my fault. By summer of 2017 My son was a completely different person from previous 2 years.

Great post--thanks.  And brings up something I have been wondering about:  I know every kid develops differently and no one can offer a truly informed opinion without seeing someone play, but I have been cogitating over whether to take my 2020 to HF this August, or wait until next year (after his junior season).  His goal is high academic: Ivy or a handful of D1s, or else probably D3.  Son is a RHP.  He's 6'0 and 190 lbs., unlikely to get taller but just got into lifting and serious training this winter and his coaches say there is a fair amount of untapped potential there.  Currently sits around 83 mph; by August expects/hopes to be 85+. 

1) Is son likely to attract any interest from Ivies or other high academic D1s in August 2018.  (That is, would they put him on their list to check out in 2019?)  2) Would a trip to HF this year have any value otherwise--say by getting some early notice from D3s? 3) Would HF in 2018 have any potential downside (other than the cost)?  Is it better to wait until son is throwing harder?  I have some time to decide, but August HF seems to fill up by early summer.     

Last edited by Chico Escuela