Skip to main content

Reply to "Headfirst vs Showball"

2019Dad posted:

The max effort throw is for position players, right?

In my son's experience, the radar readings -- and a scouting report written by the assigned coach -- was shared with all the coaches after Day 1, but the radar readings were from the 1 inning thrown on Day 1. Of course, the scouting report/radar is not shared with the players (or parents!) but sometimes a coach in the dugout will tell a kid what it said -- at least that is what happened in my son's case.

I think all of that is correct.  Pitchers who also want to play in the field at HF were specifically told they could choose to skip the max velo throw (or any of the Day 1 skills part).

Not getting velo numbers or any other feedback is a little frustrating.  One tip I can offer:  My son said the catcher he threw to on Day 1 passed on some velo numbers he overheard the coaches discussing while son was pitching.  (In NY, coaches were behind a net screen on the field directly behind the C.)  If I were a P, I'd ask my catcher to keep his ears open and let me know what he hears.

I also was surprised that pitching evaluators were using pocket radars and were only measuring velo on a few pitches.  For almost $1,000 per player, I expected to see real radar guns on tripods with pitch data fed into a laptop.  I'm not complaining--just surprised.

Something I found interesting:  the coaches writing the pitching evals frequently told the catcher what pitch to call, so they could see different looks for each P.  The thing is, the batter could clearly hear the calls, too.  Which maybe shows (again) that college coaches really aren't looking at whether a pitcher gives up hits or a batter goes 4-for-4; instead I suppose they are more concerned about form / mechanics / projectability.  I think players often forget this (so do dads).