Skip to main content

Reply to "Height and weight-embellish or be truthful?"

There is no doubt, the truth is the best path in most everything. A few things to consider, though.

Go to the website of any MLB team and check the listed height of the players. Does anyone really think that each and every player is exactly the height listed. Of course not, nearly every program, website, roster, etc. is rounded off.

So if a player is 5’11.5, what do you do? If he is listed at 6’ is someone a liar? Isn’t it a lie if he is listed at 5’11”? Should coaches and scouts disregard him because he wasn’t exactly truthful?

If the player listed happens to be a young kid, and you can’t use an exact number including a fraction, would it be more accurate to round off to the lower number or the higher number? Is he more likely to grow or shrink?

I think nearly every coach in the world will gladly take the player who has outstanding talent and totally forget that he is a half inch shorter than what is reported. We have seen thousands go on to college and professional baseball, very few of them were “exactly” the height or weight we had them listed. I would guess about 90% would not be the exact number.

I have to say, if my choice is between two players of equal ability and the only problem is one is an inch shorter than what he says and the other jogs to first base… I would 100% of the time choose the one that shows the most effort. If some kid tells me he always gives 100% and when I see him he’s dogging it… that is a lie I’m most concerned with.

One more thing… I am 65 years old. I increased my life insurance twice over the past two years. This requires a physical each time. The nurse that measured me two years ago measured me at 6’3”. The nurse this year measured me at 6’4”. Pretty sure I didn’t have a growth spurt at this age. No one is more into accuracy than insurance companies. That one inch difference didn’t concern them at all. Was there any lying involved?

My point is, why label some kid as a liar and avoid him when most kids don’t even know exactly how tall they are. Nearly always those measurements come from someone else.