Skip to main content

Reply to "Helicopter Parents - from a college dean"

I think its the concept of parents not being able to let go, teaching their children to make decisions on their own so that they function in the real world as adults.

I wouldn't be honest if I didn't admit that we have been that parent at times in our children's lives.  I raised my kids differently because I learned a lot from the first from what I should have or should not have done.

In sports here is an example. I saw a dad this summer plant himself at the backstop telling his son what to do each time he came up at bat. The kid was good, really good, but coaching him while the coaches were also coaching was just wrong.  The player was 16 years old. 

I also know parents that do their children's homework, I am not talking about elementary school kids. How is this helping the child?  How is that child going to be able to cope when they do go to college (after mom or dad have filled out all of the applications and did all of the homework)?

When do you let it go?

I think she brings up some valid points. I also think that this is a very good topic that has been brought up here since the term was first invented (many many years ago) and frankly, I don't see things getting any better as far as parents letting their children learn to be more responsible for themselves to be able to handle adulthood.

JMO

Last edited by TPM