Skip to main content

Reply to "Helicopter Parents - from a college dean"

The world is just a different place than it was when most on this board grew up.  And changes are exponential these days.  You have a generation of kids who haven't seen a CD or floppy disc.  They have a library of information (good and bad) at their fingertips (most have probably never checked out a book).  Add the mobile phone and social media.  Throw in a little "zero tolerance" and political correctness.  These days things can go very wrong for kids, very fast.  The stakes are higher.          

Back when the copy machine came out, we all know someone who "copied" his butt.  Today, a kid posts a picture of his butt online and it can be a federal offense.  Many times, there is no going back. 

Thus, parenting becomes different.  You have to watch and be diligent.  There are so many unintended consequences from todays rules.  I can't tell you how many times I looked at something my kid was doing for school, and had to ask myself is this "ok."  Things, you and I would never think of.  Do we protecting them from failure -- you bet your butt because the consequences of failure are huge.

Now that's different from making them wusses and doing everything for them.