Skip to main content

Reply to "Helicopter Parents - from a college dean"

Thank you golf.  You put that much more eloquently than I could have.  That is the problem I have every time a subject like this comes up.  The world is 180 degrees from what it was when I grew up.  When I was a kid no cell phones and the first answering machines were just coming out.  Only the rich could afford them.  Video pong shocked the world with a game you could play on your tv (black and white in our case).  You played outside late into the night because every neighbors yard you ran through knew you and your parents.  You could fight one day (physically) and be friends again the next day.  And there was honor in fighting then.  No friends jumping in - just one on one - and when somebody admitted defeat the fight was over.  You didn't just continue to beat him senseless because you could.  No guns or knives were pulled except in the rarest of cases.  Bullies were handled by a tougher good guy. You did something stupid and the neighborhood cop sent you home and threatened to tell your dad next time.  Cops took your beer and sent you home from your high school party - only if you were loud otherwise they left you alone to your underage drinking.  I could go on and on.  Already too much of a trip down memory lane...  but bottom line is you better give more guidance than our parents did cause things change.  Sad for them but true.