Skip to main content

Reply to "Helicopter Parents - from a college dean"

There were incredible amounts of stress back in the day also on those kids.  There were just fewer of those kids.  I was the first one ever and I mean ever in my family going back to time immemorial who graduated from college.  I had no intention of being a 'college boy'.  That was for people who were not my kind.  My dad worked at the plant, my brother worked at the plant and I was going to work at the plant.  So I took my high IQ and turned it into a 1.96 gpa in high school while I bided my time to work at the plant.  Just before I graduated the plant announced it was closing.  Just about all the steel mills in town had closed, GAF and the breweries were long gone.  Times were changing.  I found myself in a world that has passed my kind by.  I had no choice but to go to college.  Now I realize our entire family was played by 'the man'.  Just like this lady wealth and power is right for them but you shouldn't strive for it cause its just too much pressure.  How many times have you heard the business owner say 'I wouldn't wish this on anybody' or 'my business dominates my life' (says he while he sits at the country club with his buddies after his midweek round of golf.)  Perhaps there is some pressure when you are trying to climb your way up from the bottom.  I wish my dad would have been savvy enough to make me realize we could and should compete for the almighty dollar.  I will not make that mistake with my kids.  Money CAN buy happiness and a lack thereof is sure to bring misery.  Will there be pressure along the way?  Perhaps, but someday hopefully my kids are sitting at the country club after their midweek round of golf...  and hopefully they are comfortable but charitable at the same time.  And hopefully my kids steal a slice of that pie the ruling classes don't want to share.  So I will continue to guide my children and nudge them to be better than me.  And WE will do it together yes WE as in myself my wife and my kids.