Skip to main content

Reply to "Helicopter/snow plow parents and college"

Baseball playing son and his older brother both worked in HS.  Time management  served them well, and the extra cash helped put gas in the car and Chick-fil-a  with the gf.

To give you an idea, let me list some of the jobs:  golf cart attendant, which included tips; trampoline facility assistant; umpiring the local little league games; assistant to the facilities guy at our church (help painting, projects, etc); baseball camps; baby sitting; snow shoveling for the elderly couple across the street.  Although not straight A students, both were in the honor and beta societies which required volunteer hours.

They both worked around their HS sports.  Neither worked in fast food, which required more regular/scheduled hours. All jobs were very part time, but taught them so many lessons, like money doesn't always need to come from the BOD (Bank of Dad).   

They were also expected to do chores around the house/yard AND their own laundry. I washed the uniforms.

Like Iowamom, in college, the baseball son's scholarship helped with tuition and the older son worked (and traveled) as a basketball manager at an ACC school, which also helped a bit with the tuition.  They did this while still taking a full load each semester.

Call me old fashioned.  Their wives will thank me one day.