Skip to main content

Reply to "Helicopter/snow plow parents and college"

3and2Fastball posted:

That's one of the reason my son has, throughout high school, always played on travel teams that were perhaps just a bit of a reach for him.   He's the kid who had to battle for a spot on the A Team and either ended up on the B Team or batted 10th.  Adversity is nothing new for him.  He's learned from it and it has forced him to make adjustments and work.

There are dozens of travel teams within a 3 hour radius of where we live, he could easily be batting 3rd and playing Shortstop on many of them.  Instead he's told he's too slow to be a middle and instead he plays 1B/3B and is working hard on improving his speed.  He also now has plenty of experience competing against future D1 players and future draft picks.  He knows what it takes.  He's faced 92 mph fastballs and wicked sliders at the age of 16.

I don't understand the mentality of making things easy for kids.  It hurts them in the end.  Maybe my kid will never play above low level JUCO or D3, but he will certainly be prepared to deal with adversity.

My son was exactly like your son. But those lessons learned made him a better player and now is a D1 commit. The "stars" of those elite travel teams that once were getting all the playing time are now average at best and are begging for attention from D3 schools. Hard work and determination pays off!