Skip to main content

Reply to "HELP -- HS girl keeping stats!"

Really some good info here! I was the official statistician for my son’s high school team and his summer team. I also prepared press releases, provided photographs, and maintained both teams’ websites. I was involved in all the media hype and number crunching --- BUT it was basically just a hobby. Listen to what Jemaz say when he says high school stats are not important. While my son did received lots of recruiting mail and professional questionnaires that asked for stats I think we need to understand why they want these stats.
momandcpa, In your case I would just give them YOUR stats ----because they basically don’t care what they are or who generated them. I started to understand the nature of the beast AFTER my son had signed his NLI. Stats, pictures, articles, and such feed the public relations side of college and professional baseball, and that public relations frenzy does very little if any to modify a coach’s approach to recruiting or making out the lineup. I can give you many examples that prove this point but will just give you one. Shortly AFTER my son had signed his NLI the sports information director from the college called my home. He introduced himself and wanted to get the baseball stats on my son for their press releases. It was obvious he didn’t know I was the father. I asked how he had gotten my number and he explained the college coach didn't know what my son's stats were so he gave him the high school coach’s number, which in turn had given him my number simply because I was the statistician.
You and I have stats, pictures, articles, and scrapbooks, while college coaches and scouts have an ability to recognize and judge talent and like TPM says --- someone will SEE your son's talent and that is what sells him.

Fungo