Skip to main content

Reply to "Help getting son drafted this year..."

Austin Faith posted

but 1 of his teammates from high school was really really good.. we all knew he was getting drafted early.. but this kid had the absolute worst attitude on and off the field.. he threw temper tantrums.. cussed out players.. cussed at the coach.. threw bats and helmets during games.. so we thought that was surely going to affect his draft stock... and we were all shocked when it DID NOT.. he was drafted Very High.. with a very large bonus!! So.. after seeing an example like that and then seeing the other boys getting drafted, you as a parent can't help but to compare your son to theirs.. so.. that's why we are still scratching our heads and wondering why!

This is a perfect example of points I was making in my previous post. Scouts may not see that attitude as being a negative but very much a positive. Some of the kids former college team mates who were drafted have visited and told the guys what a sh#t show MiLB can be. A large part of that is dealing with the players from countries to the south and how they can treat you. Maybe that's what scouts saw in this kid, someone who can walk into that world and not let it eat them up and spit them out. I say this from experience because in ways that's my son. Not the yelling at teammates/coaches but a kid with an attitude. All we heard growing up was how much that was going to hurt him. Then after his senior year I get the call from the scout wanting to know if drafted will he accept. He insisted he had the attitude and frame of mind it would take to have a chance at the next level. 

Last edited by SomeBaseballDad